Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Grandpa

I would like to dedicate this email though to just the family all my friends will just have to do without ... send it to kyle tho. If you could read this to the family i would appreciate it.

Starford Churchill was an example of great patience, love, humor, strength, and power. My grandpa always will amaze me because of this great patient love for my sweet grandmother. He cared for her everyday with great care kindness and love. My sweet grandmother suffered from depression so my grandpa often suffered from her depression. He was the receiving end of critical remarks of how he wasn't doing things right or good enough. Yet he always went on. He got her whatever she wanted. I will always remember each night when he would get out the cribbage board and play with my grandma. It was their game and they loved to play it.

My grandpa also cared for me while my mom was at work. If it wasn't for my grandpa bringing me countless school assignments, lunches, and permission slips I probably would have failed elementry school. But my favorite memories of grandpa have to do with summer. Each morning he would come down stairs and lovingly rip my blankets off me to wake me up. Then I would come up stairs and he would make me the worlds best toad in the hole while I talked with grandma. Then we would all watch M.A.S.H. after that we would play cribbage. Then grandpa would usually help me with my chores. He even helped me build my award winning pinederby car.

My grandpa was one of the funniest people I've ever met in my life. Everywhere we would go with my grandpa he would have people laughing. He always made me laugh. Half of my jokes I stole from him no man can or ever will deliver old man jokes better than him.

Now for strength, I know of very few people who recovered as well as he did from two broken hips. He would never give up. He always just kept going. He dealt with parkinson's disease, but that didn't deter him either. He would get up and every morning go walking with tonka. Those two had a grand ole time. He was always playing with and pampering tonka. He will be so happy to see him again.

Power, I refer to as priesthood power. He lived worthy of this divine power and was a great example of this to me. One night when grandma was having a siesure I remember him yelling for us. My mom and I ran upstairs and looked in the room. He said call 911 then rolled over placed his hands on her head and commanded her by the authority of the priesthood and in the name of Jesus Christ to stop and the second he said it she was still. It was amazing, few men have such great unshakable faith as he did to perform that great act.

Most importantly to me my grandpa was the first member of my family to join the church. He converted before his parents. He paved the way for my family so that I could be born into this great and marvelous truth. I will be eternally grateful to him for joining the one true and living church of God.

Starford Leroy Churchill, my hero, my pioneer, but most impotantly my grandpa.

I'm glad you all are doing well with this I wish I could attend the funeral I would have liked to sing or something, but I know it will go ok without me. But know I would like to be there to carry his casket and lay him next to grandma. They are so happy together know and I'm so happy for them.

I love you all and miss you. -Elder Medina

No comments: